BURY ST EDMUNDS, Suffolk, Benedictine abbey of St Edmund, King and Martyr
List of service-books, s. xiex, in Bodl. MS Auct. D. 2. 14, fol. 173r, printed by R. Sharpe & others, English Benedictine Libraries: the Shorter Catalogues, CBMLC 4 (1996), B12. Catalogue, s. xiiex, in Cambridge, Pembroke College, MS 47, fol. 117r, printed ibid. B13. List of books read in the refectory, s. xiii, in BL MS Harley 1005, printed ibid. B14. Books mentioned in a list of benefactors, s. xv, in Douai, Bibliothèque municipale, MS 553, printed ibid. B15. Select list of titles noted by Leland, ibid. B16. The Registrum Anglie reported 246 titles from the library (see R. H. Rouse & M. A. Rouse, CBMLC 2 (1991), 278–80).
The pressmark is written at the top of the outer margin of the first leaf of text. The letter in the pressmark has reference to the contents, so that, for example, manuscripts of Augustine and Anselm are marked A, bibles B, chronicles C, sermons S. 'Liber Sancti Ædmundi regis et martyris' is the usual thriteenth-century form of ex libris inscription. 'Liber monachorum Sancti Edmundi' is common later. The inscription is regularly at the head of the first leaf of text. Six manuscripts (Cambridge, Pembroke College, MSS 16, 44, 105; BL MS Royal 6 C. ii; Bodl. MSS e Mus. 7, 8) are marked 'De armario claustri' or 'De claustro'; three (BL MS Egerton 2782, Cambridge, St John's College, MS 35, and Wisbech, Town Museum, MS 1) are 'De refectorio'; and BL MS Cotton Tiberius B. ii is 'Liber feretrariorum'.