CANTERBURY, Kent, Benedictine abbey of St Augustine (originally of St Peter and St Paul)
The important catalogue, a late fifteenth-century copy of a fourteenth-century original, is in Dublin, Trinity College, MS 360 (D.1.19); second folios and many pressmarks given; printed by B. C. Barker-Benfield, St Augustine's Abbey, Canterbury, CBMLC 13 (2008), BA1. A number of lesser lists are also printed by Barker-Benfield: list of books noted in additions to the Martyrology of the abbey, s. xiiex–xiiiin (BA2); books noted in the chronicles of Thomas Sprot, s. xivin, and William Thorne, s. xivex (BA3); books borrowed by a monk, s. xivex (BA4); books noted in the Speculum Augustinianum of Thomas Elmham, 1414 (BA5); Canterbury court records of books stolen by John Gaywode in 1457 (BA6); titles seen by Leland (BA7); notices from Leland's Commentarii de scriptoribus Britannicis, c. 1545 (BA8). Assigned a library number in the Registrum Anglie (ed. R. H. Rouse & M. A. Rouse, CBMLC 2 (1991)), but no titles reported.
The pressmark records the Distinctio and Gradus numbers. In some manuscripts there is also a letter-mark preceded by cum. Common forms of ex libris inscription are 'Liber sancti Augustini Cant'' and 'de librario sancti Augustini Cant''. In many manuscripts a personal name in the genitive case follows the short title, as at Christ Church, Canterbury.