CANTERBURY, Kent, Benedictine cathedral priory of Holy Trinity or Christ Church
M. R. James, The Ancient Libraries of Canterbury and Dover (Cambridge 1903), prints a fragmentary catalogue (s. xii) from Cambridge UL MS Ii. 3. 12; Henry of Eastry's catalogue (s. xivin) from BL MS Galba E. iv; list of Henry of Eastry's books (1331) from Canterbury, Ch. Ch. 52; list of missing books (1337) from Canterbury, Ch. Ch., Registrum L; list of Thomas Chillenden's books (1411) from Canterbury, Ch. Ch. MS C. 166; list of 293 books in the chained library drawn up by William Ingram (1508) from Canterbury, Ch. Ch. MS 27 (second folios given); Leland's list of titles. To these lists printed by MRJ, add a list of liturgical books (s. xiiex) in BL MS Cotton Augustus ii.32; an inventory of 'textus' (1316) printed from BL MS Cotton Galba E. iv by J. Wickham-Legg & W. H. St John Hope, Inventories of Christ Church, Canterbury (London 1902), 78–9; lists of books found in the cubiculum of Richard Stone (s. xviin), of books liberated for the use of Robert Holingbourne (c. 1495 and c. 1508), Thomas Goldwell (c. 1496), and John Dunstone (1501–2), and of books formerly belonging to Robert Eastry, warden of Canterbury College (c. 1496), printed from records at Canterbury cathedral by W. A. Pantin, Canterbury College, Oxford, 1, Oxford Hist. Soc. new ser. 6 (1947), 80–88.
Editions of all these lists are forthcoming for the Corpus of British Medieval Library Catalogues. Until they are published, references here to the fragmentary catalogue appear as 'old cat.', to Henry of Eastry's catalogue as 'cat.'; other lists are referred to as 'H. of Eastry', 'Chillenden', and 'Ingram' respectively.
The Registrum Anglie reported 356 titles from the library (see R. H. Rouse & M. A. Rouse, CBMLC 2 (1991), 247–9).
The common form of the pressmark records the Distinctio and Gradus numbers (for these terms see MRJ, pp. xxxviii–xliv). In some manuscripts the number of the Demonstratio (or Monstratio) is also entered. Many of the older manuscripts contain a mark consisting of a letter or letters or of a symbol, written at the top right-hand corner of the first page of text. Similar marks are written against the entries in the catalogues of s. xii, and the marks in Cambridge, Corpus Christi College, MS 260, and Trinity College, MS 289 and 944, correspond to these marks. Common forms of the ex libris inscription are 'de claustro ecclesie Cristi Cant'' and 'liber ecclesie Cristi Cant'', but many manuscripts have only a personal name in the genitive case following a short-title, e.g. Cambridge, Corpus Christi College, MS 76, pt 1, 'Annales Stephani Archiepiscopi'.