ELY, Cambridgeshire, Benedictine abbey and (1109) cathedral priory of St Peter and St Etheldreda
Receipt for return of books loaned to roger of Huntingfield, 1329, in BL MS Add. 41612, fol. 72r, printed by R. Sharpe & others, English Benedictine Libraries: the Shorter Catalogues, CBMLC 4 (1996), B27. List of titles seen by Leland, ibid. B28. Assigned a library number in the Registrum Anglie (ed. R. H. Rouse & M. A. Rouse, CBMLC 2 (1991)), but no titles reported.
A distinctive mark, consisting of a cross on a single or double-limbed base, occurs in Cambridge UL MS Ii.2.15; Corpus Christi College, MSS 44, 393, 416; Pembroke College, MS 308; Trinity College, MS O. 2 1; BL MS Harley 1031; Bodl. MSS Bodley 582, Rawlinson Q.f.8; the mark is usually written near the top of the outer margin of the first leaf of text. The common form of ex libris inscription, 'Iste liber pertinet ecclesie Eliensi' (s. xv) is written at the end as well as at the beginning of the manuscript.
An all-figure pressmark occurs in the Ely Cathedral copy of Historia Eliensis, Bodl. MSS Bodley 762, Laud Misc. 647, and Oxford, Balliol College, 49. Manuscripts of unknown provenance with a pressmark like this are Aberystwyth, NL, MS 735C (7.3); Cambridge, UL MS Ii. 4. 22 (6.41); Cambridge, Corpus Christi College, MSS 131 (6.21) and 397 (12.20); Oxford, Magdalen College, MS 17 + London, Westminster Abbey, MS 34/3 (19.20 in both parts).