LINCOLN, Lincolnshire, Cathedral church of St Mary the Virgin
Discussion of the library and new editions of the documentary evidence is forthcoming by N. L. Ramsay & J. M. W. Willoughby, The Libraries of the Secular Cathedrals, CBMLC. Also R. M. Thomson, Catalogue of the Manuscripts of Lincoln Cathedral Chapter Library (Woodbridge 1989).
Catalogues of s. xii and xv (the latter with second folios, referred to below as Cat.) printed from MSS at Lincoln by R. M. Woolley, Catalogue of the Manuscripts of Lincoln Cathedral Chapter Library (Oxford 1927), pp. v–xiv; the former also, better, by J. F. Dimock, Opera Giraldi Cambrensis 7, Rolls Series (1877), p. 165. Fourteen books borrowed from the library, s. xiii in., noted in Lincoln Cathedral, MS 201, fol. 109r, printed incorrectly by Woolley, Lincoln, pp. ix–x. Twelve law books given by Robert Newton, 1526, in chapter acts, printed Chapter Acts 1520–36, Lincoln Rec. Soc. 12 (1915), p. 72. Inventory of service-books in the revestry in 1536, giving second folios, printed from a register of the cathedral in Dugdale, Monasticon, 6. 1281. Note of titles seen by the Lincolnshire visitor, printed by Woolley, Lincoln, p. xvi, and in EHR 54, p. 89.
Assigned a library number in the Registrum Anglie (ed. R. H. Rouse & M. A. Rouse, CBMLC 2 (1991)), but no titles reported.
The common form of ex libris inscription in 12th-cent. manuscripts is 'liber sancte Marie Linc''.