SALISBURY, Wiltshire, Cathedral church of St Mary the Virgin; see removed from Sherborne in 1078
Discussion of the library and its documentary evidence is forthcoming by N. L. Ramsay & J. M. W. Willoughby, The Libraries of the Secular Cathedrals, CBMLC. See also T. Webber, Scribes and Scholars at Salisbury Cathedral, c. 1075–c. 1125 (Oxford 1992).
Legacy of Henry de la Wyle, chancellor, 1329, in Dean and Chapter Muniments, Press 4/3/8, printed in HMC Various Collections, 1. 375–6. List of titles noted by Leland, printed in Itinerary, ed. L. Toulmin-Smith, 1. 263, and De scriptoribus Britannicis, pp. 114, 227. Catalogue made c. 1622 by Patrick Young, excerpted by N. R. Ker in Wiltshire Archaeological and Natural History Magazine 53 (1949) 153–83.
The Registrum Anglie reported 146 titles from the library (see R. H. Rouse & M. A. Rouse, CBMLC 2 (1991), 264–6).