Pages

The Andrew W.Mellon Foundation | The Neil Ker Memorial Fund

Chronicon Anglie — Canterbury, Kent. Benedictine abbey of St Augustine (originally of St Peter and St Paul).


Provenance: Canterbury, Kent. Benedictine abbey of St Augustine (originally of St Peter and St Paul).
Location: Bodleian Library , Oxford
Shelfmark: Bodley 521
Author/Title: Chronicon Anglie
Type of evidence: bc: evidence from binding or pastedowns and from contents
Notes on evidence:

Binding leaf (fol. 109) from a rent-roll, s. xiv – place names, Faversham, Tenterden, Middleton, Sheldwych, Lenham, Plomstede, 'sancti Pauli'.

On fol. 107v a note on the meaning of the name Mildred (a Kentish saint).

On fol. 108v: 'Vsibus hoc christi templo edgyua dedisti / sic augustini querens virtute tueri'. 'Superscripto pat<e>ne pro corpore christi in cena domini'.

At top of fol. iv verso, 'ARNOLD' in large leters (cf. MRJ, Ancient Libraries, pp. lxxiii, 538).

Date: s. xiv ex.
Ownership:

'Liber Ioannis [Tw]y[ne] ex dono [. . . .] patris sui 1578' on fol. 1r, erased but visible by u-v light. The Twynes were Canterbury collectors.

Marginal notes by John Joscelyn.

John Stow signs.