Pages

The Andrew W.Mellon Foundation | The Neil Ker Memorial Fund

Antiphonale — York, Yorkshire. Collegiate chapel of St Mary and Holy Angels.


Provenance: York, Yorkshire. Collegiate chapel of St Mary and Holy Angels.
Location: Arundel Castle, Arundel
Author/Title: Antiphonale
Type of evidence: e: evidence from an ex-libris inscription or note of gift to an institution
Notes on evidence:

'Iste liber pertinet ad capellam beate Marie et Sanctorum Angelorum et Archangeli Ebor'' (cut in the oak board of the binding and written within c. 1500).

Date: s. xv
Ownership:

Lord Herries of Everingham Park (cf. Hist. MSS. Comm. Rep. 1. 45b).

No. 22 in catalogue (by Weale) of the Historical Music Exhbition at the Albert Hall, London, June–October 1885. (25875 d.1)

Size recorded as 415 x 270 (280 x 180) mm, and binding blue morocco. Weale records the inscription given above and 'Thomas Foxgath hatt thys booke'.

Notes:

The chapel founded by Archbp. Roger between 1154 and 1181 stood at the N. W. corner of the Norman Church and was served by prebendaries and chaplains, not cathedral people (information from F. Harrison, May 4, 1942).