LANTHONY (SECUNDA), Gloucestershire, Augustinian priory of St Mary the Virgin and St John the Baptist
Catalogue, c. 1355–60, listing the contents of five book cupboards shelf by shelf, in BL MS Harley 460, printed by T. Webber & A. G. Watson, The Libraries of the Augustinian Canons, CBMLC 6 (1998), A16. Fifty-six volumes bequeathed by John Lecche (d. by Sept. 1361) are listed in a Lanthony register, PRO, C 115/K1/6681, fol. 281r (second folios given); printed ibid. A17. List of titles noted by Leland, printed ibid. A18. The Registrum Anglie reported 12 titles (see R. H. Rouse & M. A. Rouse, CBMLC 2 (1991), 293).
The most usual form of ex libris inscription is 'Liber Lanthonie iuxta Gloucestriam'. In five manuscripts there is a pressmark referring to a shelf of the first cupboard.
The prior of the Irish cell at Duleek, Meath, owned Lambeth Palace, MS 60.
In additition to those listed in this entry, there are others which have been attributed to the priory. M. R. James suggests, often tentatively and often no doubt correctly, that the following manuscripts are from Lanthony: Lambeth Palace, 18, fol. i, ii, 1–222; Lambeth Palace, 28; Lambeth Palace, 44; Lambeth Palace, 45; Lambeth Palace, 76, fol. 148–238; Lambeth Palace, 80, fol. 1–167; Lambeth Palace, 88; Lambeth Palace, 112; Lambeth Palace, 133; Lambeth Palace, 139, fol. 1–100; Lambeth Palace, 142, fol. 1–123; Lambeth Palace, 152; Lambeth Palace, 154; Lambeth Palace, 165, fol. 1–101; Lambeth Palace, 173; Lambeth Palace, 176, fol. ii, 1–120; Lambeth Palace, 201; Lambeth Palace, 213; Lambeth Palace, 217, fol. i, 1–85 and 127–268; Lambeth Palace, 220; Lambeth Palace, 228–230; Lambeth Palace, 240; Lambeth Palace, 338, fol. 1–96; Lambeth Palace, 346; Lambeth Palace, 373; Lambeth Palace, 376; Lambeth Palace, 378, fol. 57–124; Lambeth Palace, 380, fol. 1–120; Lambeth Palace, 385; Lambeth Palace, 387; Lambeth Palace, 388; Lambeth Palace, 395, fol. 53–138; Lambeth Palace, 442; Lambeth Palace, 451, fol. 1–21; and Oxford, Trinity College, 68. Brian Twyne in Bodleian, MS Twyne xxii, pp. 162-67, assigns to Lanthony: BL, Cotton Tiberius B.xiii; BL, Cotton Domitian.xi, fol. 107–79; Oxford, Corpus Christi, 32, 55, 116. These manuscripts, like nine of the Corpus Christi manuscripts listed above (so, excluding 154), belonged to Henry Parry (d. 1629). Of these, Corpus 116 is unlikely to be from Lanthony, as it was made and used in Oxford (see Thomson, A Descriptive Catalogue of the Medieval Manuscripts of Corpus Christi College, Oxford. Western Manuscripts (Woodbridge, 2011), pp. 53–54).
LEICESTER, Leicestershire, Augustinian abbey of St Mary the Virgin de Pratis
Partly classified catalogue (s. xvex) of more than 940 books (second folios given) in Bodl. MS Laud misc. 623, printed by T. Webber & A. G. Watson, The Libraries of the Augustinian Canons, CBMLC 6 (1998), A20; 220 books 'in libraria' and 21 books 'in scriptoria' are listed again separately, with books in the church, infirmary, and at the abbey's grange at Ingarsby. List of titles noted by Leland, printed ibid. A21. Assigned a library number in the Registrum Anglie (ed. R. H. Rouse & M. A. Rouse, CBMLC 2 (1991)), but no titles reported.
LEOMINSTER, Herefordshire, Benedictine priory of St Peter; cell of Reading
Catalogue of books, c. 1192, in BL MS Egerton 3031, fol. 12v, printed by R. Sharpe & others, English Benedictine Libraries: the Shorter Catalogues, CBMLC 4 (1996), B75. List of books written by W. of (?)Wycombe, c. 1248–9, in Bodl. MS Bodley 125, fol. 98v, printed ibid. B76. The Registrum Anglie reported 16 titles (see R. H. Rouse & M. A. Rouse, CBMLC 2 (1991), 318).
LICHFIELD, Staffordshire, Cathedral church of St Mary the Virgin and St Chad
Discussion of the library and new editions of the documentary evidence is forthcoming by N. L. Ramsay & J. M. W. Willoughby, The Libraries of the Secular Cathedrals, CBMLC.
List of chiefly service-books, in inventory of the sacristy, 1346, in Staffordshire Record Office, D30/7/1, printed by J. C. Cox, Catalogue of the Muniments and MSS Books pertaining to the Dean and Chapter of Lichfield (1886), p. 204. Other inventories forthcoming, Ramsay & Willoughby. Catalogue of c. 1622 by Patrick Young, printed by N. R. Ker in Medieval and Renaissance Studies 2 (1950), 151.
LINCOLN, Lincolnshire, Cathedral church of St Mary the Virgin
Discussion of the library and new editions of the documentary evidence is forthcoming by N. L. Ramsay & J. M. W. Willoughby, The Libraries of the Secular Cathedrals, CBMLC. Also R. M. Thomson, Catalogue of the Manuscripts of Lincoln Cathedral Chapter Library (Woodbridge 1989).
Catalogues of s. xii and xv (the latter with second folios, referred to below as Cat.) printed from MSS at Lincoln by R. M. Woolley, Catalogue of the Manuscripts of Lincoln Cathedral Chapter Library (Oxford 1927), pp. v–xiv; the former also, better, by J. F. Dimock, Opera Giraldi Cambrensis 7, Rolls Series (1877), p. 165. Fourteen books borrowed from the library, s. xiii in., noted in Lincoln Cathedral, MS 201, fol. 109r, printed incorrectly by Woolley, Lincoln, pp. ix–x. Twelve law books given by Robert Newton, 1526, in chapter acts, printed Chapter Acts 1520–36, Lincoln Rec. Soc. 12 (1915), p. 72. Inventory of service-books in the revestry in 1536, giving second folios, printed from a register of the cathedral in Dugdale, Monasticon, 6. 1281. Note of titles seen by the Lincolnshire visitor, printed by Woolley, Lincoln, p. xvi, and in EHR 54, p. 89.
Assigned a library number in the Registrum Anglie (ed. R. H. Rouse & M. A. Rouse, CBMLC 2 (1991)), but no titles reported.
The common form of ex libris inscription in 12th-cent. manuscripts is 'liber sancte Marie Linc''.
Nine manuscripts (Cambridge, St John's College A.17; Lincoln Cathedral 41, 82, 208; BL, Add 54231; Lambeth Palace 57; Westminster Abbey 17; Oxford, Bodleian, Lyell 11; and Salisbury Cathedral 127) contain a mark like a figure 2 with a long horizontal tail, transected by two vertical strokes. This mark is placed in front of the note of contents or ex libris inscription and appears to be peculiar to this house. The pressmark is illustrated by A. C. de la Mare, Catalogue of the Collection of Medieval Manuscripts Bequeathed to the Bodleian Library Oxford by James P. R. Lyell (Oxford, 1971), pl. 36a.
LLANTHONY (PRIMA), Monmouthshire, Augustinian priory of St John the Baptist; cell of Lanthony (secunda) from AD 1481
The occurence of books from Llanthony (prima) at Lambeth Palace, London, and Corpus Christi College, Oxford, suggests that at the time of the Dissolution they were kept at Lanthony (secunda), Gloucestershire. Some of the books listed under Lanthony (secunda) may have belonged to Llanthony (prima).
LOCH LEVEN, Kinross, Augustinian priory of St Serif
List of books transferred from Loch Leven to St Andrew's cathedral priory, c. 1152–3, in Edinburgh, National Archives of Scotland, GD 45/27/8, fol. 18v, printed by J. Higgitt, Scottish Libraries, CBMLC 12 (2006), S19.
Discussion of the library and its documentary evidence, with new editions of the following sources and more, is forthcoming by N. L. Ramsay & J. M. W. Willoughby, The Libraries of the Secular Cathedrals, CBMLC.
Booklists included in the inventory of the treasury, 1245, printed from St Paul's Cathedral, MS W.D.9 by W. Sparrow Simpson in Archaeologia 50/2. 496–500, and of 1295, printed by W. Dugdale, History of St Paul's (edn 1818), pp. 310ff, from W.D.16; collation and corrections by Simpson pp. 360–64. The earlier list is truncated in W.D.9 but a version of it made in 1255 exists in full in W.D.4 ('Liber L'), fols. 112–115, printed by N. R. Ker in his Books, Collectors and Libraries (London 1985), pp. 215–30. The latter list exists also in W.D.3, fols. 3v, 12r–13v, and Bodl. MS Ashmole 845, fols. 174, 181–184. List of service-books, 1445, printed from a St Paul's MS by Simpson, p. 523, second folios given. Catalogue of the new library in 1458, giving second folios, in BL MS Cotton Roll xiii.24, printed by Dugdale, St Paul's, pp. 392ff. [cited here as Cat.] List of mainly service-books in the treasury in 1486, giving second folios, in Cotton Roll xiii.24, printed ibid. 399ff. List of 126 books bequeathed by Bishop Ralph Baldock (d. 1313), in Dean and Chapter Library, Mun. A. box 66 no. 17, printed in BRUO 2147–8. A list of over 100 school-books bequeathed by the almoner, William of Ravenston, to his successors, 1358, in Mun. A, box 67 no. 46, printed by E. Rickert in Modern Philology 29 (1932) 257–74. List of titles noted by Leland, printed in Collectanea, 4. 47 and De scriptoribus Britannicis, pp. 216, 230, 328, 403.
The Registrum Anglie reported 135 titles from the library assigned the numeral 19, a numeral applied in error to two libraries: St Paul's and Waverley abbey. Of these two, there are grounds for preferring St Paul's. See R. H. Rouse & M. A. Rouse, CBMLC 2 (1991), 259–60.
Many of the MSS in the 1458 catalogue are listed in three post-medieval catalogues: (a) At St Paul's by Patrick Young, c. 1622; (b) Bodl. MS Rawlinson D. 888, fols. 2–5, listing 164 MSS and 67 printed books removed from St Paul's in 1647 to Sion College, London; (c) Sion College, MS dated 1650. Nearly all the MSS removed to Sion College were destroyed in the Great Fire of London, 1666.
Discussion of the library by J. M. W. Willoughby, The Libraries of Collegiate Churches, CBMLC 15 (2013), 326–30. Select list of titles seen by Leland, printed SC268. A bequest of books of 1493 printed ibid. SC267. Inventories and memoranda of church goods, including books, between 1546 and 1552, in PRO, E 117/4/11, fols. 3r, 8r, 1r, printed ibid. SC269–271.
LONDON, Charterhouse of the Salutation of St Mary the Virgin
List of books loaned to Hull charterhouse, s. xvex or xviin, in PRO, Ecclesiastical Documents, E 135/2/58, printed by A. I. Doyle, The Libraries of the Carthusians, CBMLC 9 (2001), C2; second folios given. Loans to Coventry charterhouse, AD 1500, in E 135/2/44, printed ibid. C3; second folios given. Loans to Hinton charterhouse, s. xviin, in E 135/2/45, printed ibid. C4; further loans to Hinton, in E 135/22/29, printed ibid. C5. Loans to Beauvale, AD 1510, in PRO, State Papers Domestic, SP 1/229, fol. 14, printed ibid. C6. Loans to Mountgrace charterhouse, AD 1519/20, in SP 1/19, fol. 169, printed ibid. C7.
The most usual form of ex libris inscription is 'liber domus salutacionis matris Dei ordinis Carthusiensis prope London''.
List of books valued in an Action for Debt, 1430, in London, Guildhall Library, Plea and Memoranda Rolls, Roll A 59, mem. 1 (now held in London Metropolitan Archives), printed by D. N. Bell, The Libraries of the Cistercians, Gilbertines and Premonstratensians, CBMLC 3 (1992), Z12.